nRF Terminal integrates with the nRF Connect for VS Code extension, which provides UI-based access points to connect to your devices over serial ports or RTT.
The nRF Terminal View appears in the Terminal Panel of the VS Code interface and allows you to connect to your device over serial ports or RTT through the Command Palette. The terminal will reconnect automatically if a device is re-enumerated, but this feature is not supported for RTT.
Installing from the Marketplace and VS Code¶
We recommend installing nRF Terminal through the nRF Connect Extension Pack, which includes all the extensions recommended for nRF Connect development.
To install the nRF DeviceTree extension individually from the Visual Studio Code Marketplace, click the Install button. This opens and installs the extension in your VS Code editor.
To install the nRF Terminal extension from within VS Code:
- Click on the Extensions View in the Activity Bar.
nRF Terminalin the search box.
- Click on the extension published by Nordic Semiconductor.
- Click the Install button on the nRF Terminal extension screen.
Installing a specific build¶
It is also possible to install specific releases using VSIX file.
- Open Visual Studio Code and run the Install from VSIX... command, either through the command palette Ctrl+Shift+P or by opening the Extensions View in the Activity Bar.
- Click the ... menu in the top corner.
- Locate the VSIX package and click Install.
- Reload Visual Studio Code when prompted.